WHAT IS A SACRAMENT?
“The sacraments are efficacious signs of grace, instituted by Christ and entrusted to the Church, by which divine life is dispensed to us. The visible rites by which the sacraments are celebrated signify and make present the graces proper to each sacrament.” (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1131). In other words, sacraments are visible signs that make present an invisible reality; this invisible reality is the gift of grace. Whenever a sacrament is celebrated the visible part we see brings about the invisible reality that is taking place. The seven sacraments of the Church are divided into three groups: sacraments of Initiation (Baptism, Holy Eucharist, and Confirmation), sacraments of Service (Holy Matrimony and Holy Orders), and sacraments of Healing (Reconciliation and Anointing of the Sick).
PREPARATION FOR THE SACRAMENT OF CONFIRMATION
During preparation for Confirmation in the junior high years, BOTH 7th and 8th grade youth receive two years of religious instruction AND additional sacramental preparation. This sacramental preparation takes the form of retreats, special assignments and content specific workshops. The content specific workshops are intended for youth and their parents and also count toward the “Explore Four” requirement when a parent attends.
7th GRADE (YEAR 1)
(Any 8th grade teens who missed these sessions in 7th grade are asked to attend them in their 8th grade year.)
- Catholic Skills: Scripture (parents are invited to an engaging parent session)
- Catholic Skills: Mass (parents are asked to attend with teen)
- Catholic Skills: Prayer (parents are invited to an engaging parent session)
8th GRADE (YEAR 2)
Teens are asked to attend three Confirmation Preparation Sessions:
- Confirmation Prep #1: Sept. 29th 5-6:30 pm or Sept. 30th 6:30-8 pm
- Confirmation Prep #2: Feb. 23rd 5-6:30 pm or Feb. 24th 6:30-8 pm
- Confirmation Prep #3: March 30th 5-6:30 pm or March 31st 6:30-8 pm
(Teens are asked to attend with a parent or sponsor for Prep #1, #2, and #3)
Confirmation Ceremony on Saturday, May 3rd 7:00 pm has Rehearsal on THURSDAY, May 1st 7 pm in church
Confirmation Ceremony on Sunday, May 11th 3:00 pm has Rehearsal on THURSDAY, May 8th 7 pm in church
DATES & ASSIGNMENTS FOR CONFIRMATION CEREMONIES
Teens are asked to complete the following:
- Choose a Saint & Write a Saint Report: DUE at FEBRUARY session Click here for helpful hints on finding your Saint name and Saint Report Guidelines
Your “Confirmation Saint” is someone who will most likely embody the kind of person you’d like to become. Think of the things you are passionate about and/or interested in. Find which saint represents those ideas or ideals. Included in the guidelines are links on the web that can help you in your search for the… PERFECT SAINT NAME for you!
Saint Reports include the following:
• A summary of the life/lives of the saint(s) whose name you have chosen to take as your Confirmation name.
• Follow all the instructions included in the attached PDF under "When writing your Saint Report…"
Consider the activities "In What Ways do you Relate to Saints?" and "What Saints can you Relate to?" as aides to help you construct and complete a robust report. The SIX saints included in the document are EXAMPLES of POSSIBLE saints. Your choice of saint name is not reserved to just those examples.
If you are still struggling to find a saint after following the activities:
IOS users might try using: Confirmation Names on the App Store on iTunes
- Confirmation Retreat: N.E.T. Retreats were in November