Meal Angels Ministry
Wouldn't it be great to have a home cooked meal delivered to your house?
Meal Angels are volunteers who buy the food, prepare the meals, and deliver them to your house. We fix meals for families,
who need help due to health reasons of a family member or who find it difficult, if not impossible, to cook for themselves.
HOW MEAL ANGELS WAS STARTED:
Meal Angels started in July 2009 when a couple from the Parish needed help. The wife had cancer, the husband could not boil water, and she longed for home cooked meals. We got a call from our Parish Nurse asking if we could arrange meals for them. From there, the Ministry grew. Eventually, we were asked to take over the Fishes and Loaves Ministry which had been preparing meals for families who had just had a new baby.
MEAL ANGELS ASSISTANCE SINCE 2009:
- Prepared & Delivered over 899 meals to 22 different families.
- Dec 2010 we began including families with newborns and prepared & delivered meals to an additional 3 families with 26 meals.
- During Lent the Knights of Columbus graciously donated meals from their Fish Fry to several families each week.
- There are approximately 340 people on the Food Angel volunteer list. Some prepare meals and some keep the families in their prayers. Of the 340 people, 125 to 130 have been "Meal Angels" preparing and delivering food.
- We are preparing meals for about 7 families in the parish who need and appreciate our help due to illness or special needs.
When information is received about a family in need, an email is sent to a list of volunteers with the dates meals are needed and info on the families in need (any allergies, # in family, etc.). We schedule a month at a time. Volunteers that can help email back the dates they are available to help. Volunteers are then emailed back verification that the date requested is still available and the directions to the family(ies) home(s). Family names are not given out, only the address.
The meal to be brought is asked to consist of: salad, entree w/meat, potato, veggie, sometimes rolls, and a dessert. Meals should be brought in disposable containers, cooked and ready to eat. Each family has a cooler on their front porch that the meal is to be placed in during the time specified for each family. If they do not have a cooler, we provide one for them. Volunteers don't have to ring the doorbell when delivering, just place the meal in cooler. The family knows to look in the cooler during specified times. This protects their privacy and does not make them answer the door if they are not up to it.
There are some volunteers, who due to jobs or other commitments, may not have the time to cook, so they order a meal to be delivered. It is all prepaid, including tip, and delivered to the family. If Food Angel Volunteers let me know ahead they are ordering food, I notify the family to expect a delivery.
IF YOU ARE IN NEED OF MEAL ANGELS OR KNOW OF SOMEONE THAT IS
YOU WANT TO VOLUNTEER FOR THIS MINISTRY:
Contact Terrie M. at email: email@example.com or call (815) 212-4837.
Terrie M., Meal Angels Coordinator